Friday, November 2, 2018

Day 2




Do we get sick days off for this writing everyday commitment? Days to sit in my chair and gaze out the window? Last night and this morning I have been inundated with prime examples of how difficult this illness adjustment is going to be. I think emotionally I am still fighting it, looking for a way around it. And physically I'm just exhausted. At some point I know I will need to embrace it and find my way through it. But not today. Today is lost and I don't think any of it can be redeemed. So let's leave the topic of illness for other days when I feel on more solid ground or maybe never as I'm sure most people don't want to read the ins and outs of my struggles.

So what's next? Politics? Religion? Nah...too much controversy can't be good on a day like today. Happy thoughts are what we need...but then again we could discuss movies. I've been watching quite a few on Amazon lately and there is really not much out there worth spending the time on. Where are the good movies? Recommendations are welcome. My favorite movie of all time is, The Hours, with Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, and Julianne Moore. There are three distinct story lines that are cleverly and subtly tied together as the story unfolds. No its not a happy movie. I'm not sure I have a favorite happy movie. Oh yeah, there are the classics like O Brother, Big Fish and Love Actually. But for morose  moods its The Hours for sure. The action in all three stories happen in the span of one day but in three different decades. They are tied together by the book, Mrs. Dalloway, by Virginia Woolf. But the connections between the three women in each story go deeper than literature, delving into such profound subjects such as friendship, loneliness, mental illness, suicide, etc. Its a movie that provokes feeling and thought not escapism purely for entertainment purposes. Of course I'm sure some would disagree (as a few movie critics did)and would say that the movie is too focused on female victimization and would complain about the nose prosthesis they put on Nicole Kidman to make her look more like Virginia Woolf. And I may even say the nose was distracting but for me the complex plot and moving performances more than made up for the bulbous nose. But I should stop...don't want to tell too much in case one day you find yourself in a morose mood and need to wallow in just the right movie to enhance your gloomy disposition. With a review like that I don't think I'll get a job as a movie critic but I might get my resume ready just in case. What kind of experience do you need to be a famous movie critic?


No comments: